Monday, May 21, 2012

Walt Whitman and simple steps to teach poetry to kids


Poetry writing and it's not an easy task. Some School projects call for poetry writing assignment and parents end up trying to help the kids to create a poem! Parents often come to me and request that their kids learn to write poetry - Just because their poetry need to be selected and they have to recite at a Recitation competition or get it printed in the school magazine.

Learning to write poetry in two to four sessions is not a miracle. Kidsfreesouls suggest Poetry Soup Ideas and here's some simple steps.
Btw, Walt Whitman is one of my favourite poet whose poetry is idealistic and romantic - in rhymes and rhythm to thoughts. His prose has been realistic. His poems have often voiced for peace during the Civil War and what I like about the Poet is, every poem has something to say - so human and concerned with a message - which you will find in Comments on his work. This reveals the Poet's nature, emotions and kindness towards things he perceived. Here is the Profile and his works. The Poet was born on 31st May and sure will give you an insight to his poetry style of writing. Whitman said,

“I exist as I am, that is enough,
If no other in the world be aware I sit content,
And if each and all be aware I sit content.
One world is aware, and by the far the largest to me, and that is myself,
And whether I come to my own today or in ten thousand or ten million years,
I can cheerfully take it now, or with equal cheerfulness, I can wait.”
― Walt Whitman

And here's in memory of this great poet as Kidsfreesouls explore the Literature pages. You too, join me in my quest of knowledge. Enjoy.

- ilaxi patel
Editor, www.kidsfreesouls.com 

No comments: