Monday, March 22, 2010

The Woods are Lovely, dark and deep, And I have promises to keep....

"The woods are lovely dark and deep,
And I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep"
- Robert Frost


Robert Frost, winner of the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry, was born on 26th March 1874 in San Francisco, California, USA. The U.S. Congress voted Frost a gold medal "in recognition of his poetry which has enriched the culture of the United States and the philosophy of the world". (Read more here)

Btw, did you know, Robert Frost wrote a new poem entitled "Dedication" for delivery at the inauguration of John F. Kennedy in 1961, but never read it, because the sun's glare upon the snow blinded Frost from seeing the text. Instead, he recited "The Gift Outright" from memory.

I guess, poets are born and totally, a game of word play, rhyme and reason. When I started writing poetry, I referred a lot of poetry books in my Library and later, set to make my own creation which sometimes took an hour or two to pen down a few lines!!! It had to be original, it had to have rhyme schemes, it had to convey a message because when a poet writes, the thoughts flow in those lines. Knowingly or unknowingly, while people write poetry on the web, I have noticed that many of them reveal their inner mind and psychology is all that works to find the character behind those thoughtful revelations.

You can find my Poetry pages and Poetry learning (More will be added soon) and even teach kids on 'How to write Poetry'. If you have written a poetry and wondering what to do (even after putting on Facebook or sending thru mails) - here's Kidsfreesouls 'Your Poetry' Pages for you. Maybe, be an Inspirational Poet too:-)

- ilaxi patel
Editor, www.kidsfreesouls.com
Newspaper for Kids

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You have made it look so simple. Not sure abouut my kids, I am willing to try Poetry.

Cngratulations.

ilaxi patel said...

For kids, follow Poetry soup and let them explore the rhyme words....Poetry is like music - comes from heart...